1. Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors save lives – Install and maintain them. Test them often to make sure they work. Replace the batteries at least twice a year when you change your clock for daylight savings.
2. Smoking and drinking are a lethal combination. Careless smoking is a leading cause of fire. Don’t empty ashtrays into the trash.
3. Keep matches, lighters and candles away from children.
4. Be careful with candles. Don’t leave them burning unattended. Never sleep with candles burning.
5. Remove electrical cords from under rugs and behind radiators. Never nail or staple the cord to walls or molding.
6. Never overload wall outlets, power strips or extension cords. If you have to use an extension cord for a high drawing electrical appliance such as a refrigerator or air conditioner, etc., be sure to use a grounded heavy duty extension cord meant for heavy voltage!
7. Never put a portable space heater near drapes, furniture, bedding or other flammable materials.
8. Move flammable liquids and any type of storage away from a stove, water heater, furnace or any other type of heat source to a safe distant location. Make sure there is at least three feet of clear space around these units.
9. Remove all materials on or near your stove that could catch fire including paper, dishcloths, curtains, etc.
10. Early notification can make all the difference – in case of fire, call 9-1-1. Never fight a fire yourself. Get out of the house and stay out!
11. Have a home fire escape plan. Develop a home escape plan with your family in case of fire. Practice it. Have a prearranged meeting place somewhere outside of the house.