Welcome

Welcome to the Bergenfield Fire Department Web Site.  This is your official resource for information about the Bergenfield Fire Department. We are a combination department with 65 members. 
Please take a few moments to browse through our web site to learn a few things about us.  You may consider becoming part of a long history of dedicated men and women who make up our family of firefighters that have been protecting our community for over 110 years with Valor, Fidelity and Duty.
Thank you for your continued support.
Jason Lanzilotti , Chief of the Department 

2nd Annual Santa Run Fundraiser

Posted on November 21, 2017

The Bergenfield Fire Department is pleased to announce its 2nd Annual Santa Run Fundraiser to be held December 16, 2017 from 12:00 to 6:00 pm. Our firefighters will escort Santa on a firetruck and bring gifts to your door. Parents provide a wrapped gift with the recipient's name and address to one of the 3 Bergenfield firehouses along with $5.00 per gift and we bring Santa to deliver the gift. Gifts dropped off on the day of the Santa Run will be $7.00 per gift. This years Santa Run proceeds will benefit one of our own firefighters who suffered a serious medical emergency earlier this year. Gifts and money can be dropped off at the following locations and times:



Alert Fire Company (61 West Church St.) Tuesday nights 7:30-9:00 pm

Fire Company #2 (8 Home Place) Wednesday nights 7:30-9:00 pm

Prospect Fire Company (238 West Clinton Ave.) Friday nights 8:00-10:00 pm



If you have any questions or would like more information please contact Greg Polandick at gpolandick@bergenfieldfd.org

New Promotional Video

Posted on March 12, 2017

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

Posted on January 5, 2015

Borough of Bergenfield
Fire Department

The Bergenfield Fire Department is a combination department whose primary mission is to protect the lives and property of the residents of Bergenfield and to assist our surrounding communities in times of emergencies.

The Department consists of 3 individual companies 8 pieces of apparatus situated strategically around the Borough. There are 4 engines, whose primary task is to extinguish the fire, 2 ladders, whose job is searching for victims and ventilation of smoke, 1 rescue, which handles all extrication and FAST Team duties, and a squad that works with our special operations teams, focusing on high-angle and trench rescues. All members are cross-trained in all types of company functions. We have a career staff comprised of 7 members who are on-duty M-F 8am to 5pm and they respond with 2 engines and 1 ladder truck. All of the members of the Department respond to any type of emergency 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year - WE WILL ALWAYS RESPOND TO YOUR CALL!!!!

The Department is overseen by the Fire Commissioner Thomas A. Lodato. The day to day operations, along with incident command, is under the direction of the Chief of the Department, Jason Lanzilotti. In his absence the Department has two Deputy Chiefs, Chris Naylis and Chris Saito who will take command at that time.

Each Company has 1 Captain and 1 Lieutenant who are responsible for the training of an immediate command of each of their companies. Click on the members tab to see the rosters. All of the Officers have been trained to command an incident in the absence of all 3 chief officers.

The Department averages more than 625 responses annually. The Bergenfield Fire Department accepts membership from people between the ages of 18 and 45, male or female, and who live within the borders of Bergenfield. We also sponsor a Junior Fire Department for young men and women between the ages of 16 and 18. If you are interested in joining, please call the Chiefs' Office at 201-387-4055 x 4073 or call 1-800-FIRELINE for more information on volunteering.

Busy Day For BFD

Posted on August 2, 2017

Bergenfield’s Bravest had a busy day on Wednesday At 01:18 hours members of Alert Fire Company were requested to 137 Williamson Road for a CO detector sounding.  Upon arrival of the FD, no levels of CO were determined to be present and the alarm was reset by the homeowner prior to arrival. Units returned at 02:08 hours when the alarm sounded again. This time a detector malfunction was discovered. The homeowner was advised to replace the detector. 

 

At 03:05 hours a general alarm was sounded for an odor of burning in the basement of 105 Hickory Ave. Units discovered that the homes water heater malfunctioned and leaked causing a flood in the basement. The floodwaters reached a surge protector that was sitting on the floor of the basement and began to short out the unit and create a burning odor. The surge protector was removed from the home. Units operated for 30 minutes before returning. 

 

At 12:30 Hours an Engine was requested was requested by Mid-Bergen Mutual Aid to stand by at Teaneck Fire Headquarters while they operated at a house fire on WendelPlace. Deputy Chief Naylis responded along with Engine 745 under the command of Lt. Kneisler and 3 firefighters. Shortly after arriving at Teaneck’s headquarters the engine was directed to the fire scene. Members were assigned to conduct secondary searches of the fire building. After completing their assigned tasks, the engine returned to Teaneck’s headquarters to continue standing by. 

 

While the engine was standing by in Teaneck, a general alarm was sounded at 13:17 hours for a fire alarm sounding at the Transfiguration Academy on Bradley Ave. It was quickly determined the alarm system was activated due to a malfunction. Units picked up within 20 minutes. 

 

At  13:47 hours Central Dispatched requested the Bergenfield FAST unit to respond to a fire in New Milford on Evergreen Court. Deputy Chief Naylis responded along with Ladder 742 under the command of Captain Kirsch and a crew of 4 firefighters. Members stood by until being released approximately 30 minutes later.  

 

While members were putting the apparatus and equipment back in service from the previous calls, another general alarm was sounded at 14:51 hours for an odor of smoke in the area of 132 North Prospect Ave.  Deputy Chiefs Naylis and Saito were on scene within 2 minutes and observed smoke emanating from the chimney and roof ridgeline.  Crews forced entry into the unoccupied home and determined a fire was within the homes walls. A working fire assignment was requested bringing a New Milford FAST unit, Dumont Engine and Rescue, and Englewood Ladder to the scene. A Teaneck engine, Dumont engine, and Tenafly Ladder stood by at Alert firehouse to provide the borough with coverage. On scene crews were put to work venting the roof space and opening the interior walls to check for fire extension. Due to the extensive amount of opening up and overhaul that needed to be facilitated, Teaneck and Tenafly were relocated to the fire scene. An additional engine from Cresskill and a Ladder from Ridgefield Park were requested to backfill Alert firehouse. While units were backfilling an additional alarm was received at 13 Hallberg Ave.  Captain Kneisler and the mutual aid companies handled that alarm. Units remained on scene until 17:00 Hours. 

 

At 18:14 hours a general alarm was sounded for a return trip to 132 North Prospect Ave. A small ember was smoking on the second floor that was noticed by the board up company who was in the process of securing the home. Members opened up the areas effected previously by fire and completely overhauled the areas. A Dumont engine was requested for coverage while BFD units were handling. Units were cleared by 19:00 hours.  

 

No injuries were suffered at any point during any response throughout the day. All residents are reminded that the Bergenfield Fire Department is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and we are just a phone call away.

BERGENFIELD FIRE COMPANIES REACH 100 YEAR MILESTONE

Posted on July 18, 2017

?On July 18, 2017 two of Bergenfield’s three fire companies, namely Bergenfield Fire Company No. 2 and Prospect Fire Company No. 1 reached their 100th anniversary of volunteer fire service to the Borough of Bergenfield.  Both companies were organized in 1917 and accepted by the Mayor and Council on the 18th of July 1917.  Both of these fire companies along with a third fire company, Alert Fire Company No. 1, continue to provide fire protection to this day.  Alert Fire Company reached its 100th anniversary milestone back in 2004. ?

The early history of the Bergenfield Fire Department is essentially the history of Alert Fire Company which was the only fire fighting organization in the Borough prior to the year 1917.  The town of Bergenfield was incorporated on June 11, 1894 and up until 1904, there was no organized system of fire protection.  If a fire broke out in any structure, it was doomed unless it could be subdued by bucket brigades hastily improvised by its neighbors.  Alert Fire Company was organized as such a bucket brigade in 1904 after a fire consumed the local railroad station.  Alert was organized with thirty charter members at a meeting of the citizens of Bergenfield held at Christie’s Hall, which at the time was used as the borough hall.  On January 3, 1905 the charter members unanimously voted to name the company Alert Fire Company No. 1.  Alert was reorganized as a fire company and accepted by the mayor and council on September 6, 1905 by passing ordinance #44 to establish, equip, and regulate a fire department in the Borough of Bergenfield.  

The first home of Alert was in a barn on the north side of East Main Street just east of Washington Avenue owned by a citizen who permitted the fire company to use it for the nominal fee of $1.00 per year.  About 1909, Alert purchased two lots at the corner of Bradley Avenue and William Street and moved the barn there, subsequently renovating it and enlarging it.  Alert remained at this site until 1962 when it relocated its headquarters to 61 West Church Street at the corner of Ralph Street (which was a commuter parking lot) where a new modern looking firehouse was erected and still stands today.  

About 1907, several citizens formed the Pioneer Engine Company to protect property on the west side of the railroad, but after a brief existence, this Company disbanded.  Thus, Alert served the needs of the borough for 13 years until 1917 when Bergenfield Fire Company No. 2 and Prospect Fire Company were both organized.  

Bergenfield Fire Company No. 2 was formed in response to a demand for another fire company because the citizens of Bergenfield felt one fire company was not enough to cover the entire borough.  Company No. 2 was organized on February 7, 1917 and accepted by the mayor and council on July 18, 1917.

When the Borough acquired the property where the borough hall stood, which at the time was located at North Washington and West Johnson Avenues, Company No. 2 requested and was granted permission in 1921 to establish its headquarters in what was known as the borough hall annex.  The annex was attached to the north side of borough hall and was essentially a garage. Company No 2’s first piece of firefighting equipment consisted of a Jumper (a four wheel hose reel) which was housed in various private barns in town prior to moving into the annex.  The Jumper was replaced within a year or so with a motor truck which had been converted by the firemen from a Pierce-Arrow touring car.  Sometime after moving into the annex, the mayor and council provided the fire company with a modern Reo fire truck and then in 1926, the Borough equipped the fire company with a LaFrance combination pumper and hose truck.  

Company No. 2 moved to its present location at 8 Home Place after being the highest bidder for a parcel of land put up for sale on December 10, 1934 by the Borough of Bergenfield. The Company bid $100 for the property and won the bid.

Prospect Fire Company was formed on June 6, 1917 and was also accepted by the Mayor and Council on July 18, 1917.  Prospect was formed as a result of a demand for better fire protection in the portion of the borough known as Prospect Manor which was then beginning to grow rapidly.  A meeting was called on the evening on May 23, 1917 to form and organize a fire company for the protection of life and property for the residents of Bergenfield. Membership was limited to the residents on the west side of the borough.  On January 9, 1918, a motion was made to change the corporate name of Prospect Fire Company to Prospect Fire Company No. 1 as it is known today. 

 ?Prospect purchased three lots on Williams Avenue (now West Clinton Avenue) and broke ground of its present firehouse on March 17, 1918.  Thomas J. Prime, one of its charter members and then mayor of the borough, turned the first spade full of earth.  Prospect is still serving the borough today in its original firehouse located at 238 West Clinton Avenue which isdirectly across from the Bergenfield High School.

?In 1919, seeing the need for unity among the three fire companies, the firemen came together and formed the Bergenfield Fire Department which today consists of 58 volunteer members complemented with a career staff of five members. In 1985, the fire department’s first female firefighter joined the volunteer ranks.  Over the years, six otherfemales joined the Department but today only one remains who along with her male comrades continue to proudly serve the residents of Bergenfield.

 

Former Fire Commisioner Passes Away

Posted on June 11, 2017

It is with deep regret that the Bergenfield Fire Department announces the passing of former Fire Commissioner James F. Lodato, Father of current member, Ex-Chief James P. Lodato and our current Fire Commissioner Thomas A. Lodato.



Once arrangements are made they will be posted.

Engine Repsonds To Teaneck

Posted on April 23, 2017

Just after 1000 hours, Mid-Bergen Mutual Aid requested a Bergenfield engine to respond into the Township of Teaneck on a cover assignment.  Teaneck was a battling a blaze in a residential dwelling near their headquarters.  

Engine 745, under the command of Lt. O'Connor and a crew six responded along with Chief Lanzilotti (740) into Teaneck. They covered for 2 1/2 hours taking in no runs prior to being released.

All Hands Fire On Haring Street

Posted on March 18, 2017

Shortly after 1830 hours, the BVFD was requested to respond to 67 Haring St for the odor of electrical burning in the kitchen.  Upon arrival, Captain Naylis established command an had the crews of Ladder 742 and engine 745 investigate.  They had an odor and slight haze. Their investigation led them to the basement. As they made inspection holes they found fire inside the walls and heading to the kitchen.

The fire was held in check with a water can as the dry line was stretched and charged.  Members made quick work of the fie and overhaul.  Dumont sent 1 engine to Alert Firehouse to cover.The fire is still under investigation, but did not appear to be suspicious as all.